Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Simplifying Conversation Initiation

"Such long words in your title, Jeff!" I know, I know. I'm pretty good like that.

Today, I'll be talking about something that takes so much effort, but is actually the easiest thing in the world to do. It's something that haunts us all, and can make even the strongest of people shake at the knees. Yes, kids. I'm talking about starting conversations with strangers (the good kind, if there's such a thing).

It's that time of year at the university I go to, in which people are now separated from their high-school besties, and they desperately want to make new friends. A majority of the people, of course, are thinking, "Just going up to a stranger and talking to them? How frightening! What if they think I'm weird?" I was like this as a freshman as well, but the thing is, it's really not hard to find some common conversation starting ground with someone you've never met.

So let's refer back to the mentality most people have when it comes to initiating conversations with strangers. Did you refer to it? Paragraph two, in the quotations? Good! Now we're on the same track. Well, the person you're about to talk to is probably thinking the same thing. In most cases (especially in a college setting), they're trying to make friends as well. Unless the person is just a cold hearted witch (but with a B), they're most likely going to just go along with it.

How do you start one of these conversations, you say? Quite simple, actually!

1. Compliment an article of clothing they're wearing.

I've noticed that people stare at my shirts a lot. I know, I know, it's because of my impeccable style, but this isn't the point. They stare at it, smile slightly, and I can tell that they like it. If they wanted to talk to me, all they have to say is "I like your shirt! Where'd you get it?" Or something along those lines. I can guarantee that you'll at least have a minute long conversation with them. What you wear can do wonders.

2. Butt in on a conversation.

Use this sparingly, though. You don't want to cut in on someone talking about their family problems, only to hear you say "Oh my gosh! I have those too!" Anyway, if you hear someone talking to their friend about a band, TV show, animal, flavor of cake, or anything else that you can relate to, say something! It might sound like you're eavesdropping, but trust me, I do this a lot at work. Someone was talking about a video game I like, and I asked them, "Yo! You talkin' 'bout Bioshock?" (Except I sounded much less ganster-like). It was just that simple, and it could be just as simple for you!

3. Be the reason a conversation happens.

Yes. I'm telling you to have impeccable style. Just kidding! In other words, simply be yourself. Find ways to express yourself, and just go for it. If you want to wear a panda bear hat (which I will end up doing at some point) out and about, then do it! Someone will end up saying something about it. I mean, who wouldn't? You're wearing a panda hat! (Of course, you can wear any kind of hat you want. I'm not limiting you to pandas, even though they're adorable.)

These are just a few ways, but definitely not all of them. I know it's not easy to just talk to someone you've never met. Believe me, I know. If the fear of being rejected by the person is the only thing from stopping you, it's completely understandable, but easily able to be worked through. Just take a deep breath, walk up to that stranger, and tell her that her skirt is tucked into her underwear. You'll be a lifesaver, and you'll probably make a new friend.

Almost forgot to tell you...vote in the poll I made at the top left corner! Do it! Yeah!


Song of the Week!
So there were two songs I couldn't stop listening to this past week, and I was debating which one I should put up. I was so stuck, that I'm just going to post both!

This song came out last week, and I can't get over how amazing it is. The video is also really adorable. 

I've been jamming to this since I got it yesterday. The rap section in the song is actually really cool, and I don't really like rap music. 

That's all for now! Have a great day!

1 comment:

  1. I think this is my favorite of the blogs you have posted so far, though I would hate to be the person that made a friend cause her shirt was stuck in her underwear.

    ReplyDelete