Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Tolerance

So I added another chapter to my fanfiction. Here you go! Just change the tab thingy in the top or bottom right if you've read all the other chapters.

The questions kind of failed, so maybe I'll try that again another time. When I'm more popular...haha!


So I was watching True Life: I want to be straight, and it spurred lots of terrible emotions in me. I can't even begin to tell you how upset I was while I was watching it.


To give you some background (for those who didn't see it), it followed the stories of two individuals who wanted to be straight because of social pressures, mostly by their family. The first person introduced was a lesbian woman (Melanie) who had a mother that can't stand the fact that she's living this lifestyle. They've gotten into many altercations over her sexuality, and this caused her to try to pursue a heterosexual lifestyle. She doesn't like dating guys because she feels a better connection with girls, but the only problem she has is her mother, and she pursues a heterosexual lifestyle just so her mother will stay in her life.


The second individual was a man who was raised under a heavy Christian household (Kevin). He realized he was attracted to guys, and started pursuing that lifestyle, but his parents told him that it was wrong because of what the bible says, so he tried as hard as he could to be straight. He read the section of the bible that says how homosexuality is wrong every day, just to remind himself that he will be turned away by his family if he is to continue being gay.


The parents of each of these individuals were terribly intolerant of them, and this is especially what got to me. Melanie's mother simply didn't like that she was lesbian, and physically harmed her, just for this reason. She was willing to stop talking to her daughter just because she was interested in women, and that, to me, is just a terrible way to be.


Kevin's dad told him he was PROUD that Kevin was becoming straight. His friends supported his decision, but in my opinion, friends are supposed to support you no matter how ridiculous the decision. What angered me about that, though, is that they prayed for him, saying to "protect him from the devil". What the hell? So all of us homosexuals are infected by the devil then, huh?


My point is, how come a parent just can't accept their gay child? They're not doing anything to the parent PERSONALLY, so why is it so upsetting to them? The intolerance of the people in these poor souls' lives made me angry, because I know they aren't the only people who deal with this. I'm very lucky to have a loving and accepting family, but I just wish everyone's family was that way.


And since I feel like sharing, I will be listening to this song for forever. So I figure I can share it with my readers. It's beyond amazing, and I just can't stop listening.



I guarantee that you'll be walking around your house singing "Good bye, baby good bye~" from now on. It's just that amazing!

Have a great day guys! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment