Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Battle Royale!

I was watching the japanese movie, “Battle Royale” last night until two in the morning (which is when I should have been sleeping, but oh well), and it had me thinking. Well, before I give my opinion, I suppose I should say what it’s about for the people who haven’t seen it.

It’s about a freshman class in high school who is sent to a deserted island to fight to the death, and the last one standing gets to return home. This was because the government enacted the BR act when they felt the teenage population was becoming apathetic about their futures and the way that they treat their elders. 

I thought this was, by far, one of the cruelest things I’ve seen, but they acted as if there was SOME justice to it, which I disagree. The poor kids are forced to kill each other. Many of them ran off in different directions, many also went head-on into the killing, and few didn’t even make it to the fearful game. I don’t think it would ever happen, but what if our government was that way? (By our, I suppose I mean any government). I know if I was sent into the Royale, I would be too scared to do anything. Whether or not I knew the death of all my other classmates would allow me to come home, I don’t think I could go through with it. Fight for my own life at the expense of others would scare me out of my wits. Where’s the joy in this? Not quite sure. The lesson that was trying to be taught by the act they ensued was brought about in a horrible manner. I mean, I suppose it works. When they’re dead, they can’t misbehave. The winner then knows that they could end up like their classmates if they misbehave

No comments:

Post a Comment