Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Drifting

It’s that time. Getting ready to move forward with life. Yup, little Jeffy-poo, along with all of his high school friends and anyone else who this applies to, are going to college. 

I’ll be moving into a dorm with a perfect stranger (well other than a few conversations over social networks and through text messages), and leaving all the friends and family I have down in my hometown. I don’t want to be leaving them, but I have to know how to let go. There are friends I feel are distancing from me, and I fear that this big step in life will be like taking a million mile long step away from them. I’m not ready to lose some of the friends who won’t be in college with me, and I know this will make it harder to see each other and keep our friendship strong. I’m also afraid of being on my own, and making choices for myself. Being under parents’ roofs is easier, just having to be ordered to do things, and they give you food, shelter, and safety. 

Since I try to do it in every blog post, where’s the happiness in this? Well, having to make your own choices and live by your own rules can give you the perfect training for living on your own (since you can’t be a child forever). There’s nothing like being thrown right into what you’re trying to learn. As for the friends…I suppose this would be the ultimate test for both you and the friends you’re leaving. If they want to continue the friendship you have with them, they would be more than willing to keep in contact with you, and to plan days where you can spend time catching up on what each other has missed. The catch is though, it’s not just their job. You have to make the effort too. That’s how friendships work. If only one person is trying to keep it alive, it’s either a lost cause, or someone is a stalker. Just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment