Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Jealousy

Let’s face it: We all get jealous. It’s nothing to be ashamed of, until it drives you to do undesirable things, but that’s beside the point. Why do we get jealous? Is there any way of controlling it?

I think jealously is a sign that we want more than what we’re getting. We can see a couple holding hands and kissing, and become jealous because we aren’t getting that same treatment. Jealousy though, can create bitterness because we want what we think we’re missing out on so bad, that it drags us down to a point to where we just can’t be happy. It’s almost impossible not to go a lifetime without feeling jealousy, and it can me the most minor of our issues, but depending on the intensity of how jealous you become, it can become more than just a problem.

To be able to explain my next example further…I’m gay. I’m attracted to guys. Yup. That’s me. The biggest problem I face, and notice from being a gay male is that I almost literally have no male friends. It’s as if once they figure out I’m gay, all other aspects of me disappear, and that’s all they can concentrate on. I feel like I’m getting alienated and mistreated by straight males, just because of who I am. What straight male can be friends with someone who can have a possibility of being attracted to them? In my experiences, apparently none of them, but my mind is still subject to change.

I become jealous because I work ten times as hard as any other guy just to be friends with somebody I admire, and I always fall short. I don’t get all creeper on them, I don’t flirt with them, I don’t try to talk to them all the time, so I always wonder what on earth I could be doing wrong. Two straight guys can easily become friends just by talking for a few minutes. I talk to them for months on end, and there’s still, somehow, no common ground. Why? Well, and this is just me: I’m gay.

Jealously can not only hurt you, but if you become to obsessed with your jealousy, you can hurt the one your emotions are targeting as well. I believe it’s normal to feel this way, but it’s not healthy to feel it all the time. Be careful out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment