Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Compliments

Ah, compliments. It’s something that warms one’s heart. To those who receive them constantly, it could be a pain, but to those who rarely get them, well, it could make their day. Compliments can be given to someone about anything. They can be given to the person about the person, but in my eyes, people don’t always receive it the right way. Through my experience, there comes a certain age where complimenting someone, such as, “You are very pretty” or “I like your ascot” or “Your eyes are like, so dreamy”, becomes awkward, and almost unwanted.

When you see someone’s baby or toddler, you might immediately think “Aw they’re so cute!” and you then tell them, “Your son/daughter is so cute!” When they’re that little, you can’t possibly be thinking any creepy thoughts about the physical appearance of this child, so what’s the harm in complimenting them? Now when a child becomes maybe five, six, or seven years of age, (though it’s more of just an appearance thing, if they look too old to say “they’re so cute!” then your gut will let you know), the creepy thoughts vibe can come out. I had a recent experience with this (no not the creepy thoughts part, you perverts.) I was in a sandwich place and a father walked in with his little girl who I thought was adorable. She only added to this by bustin’ out her awesome dance moves. I wanted to say, “She’s so adorable!”, but she looked maybe old enough to where that could of crossed the boundary. 

There’s no definite time when it becomes awkward, you just kind of take a guess. Why does it have to be awkward, though? Can’t we just say things like, “You’re very pretty” or “I like your hair. Who does your hair? I wanna go there. (Song reference)”, without the other person thinking there’s an ulterior motive?  To me, it’s just simply noticing something about someone, and making it known that you admire that aspect of them. What’s so creepy about that? In fact, I challenge you, readers! Don’t just sit back and think “Oh man that guy’s hair is so awesome, but I can’t tell him because then he will think I want to stalk him”. There’s your misfortune, and find your happiness by breaking out of your shell and compliment someone. If you see someone who’s wearing an awesome hat, say so! If someone is “hot”, tell them! Well, maybe just say they’re pretty. Yes, even if they’re a man. I’m sure him and his prettiness will appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment